Tattooists worldwide can help combat branding.
You can help by knowing the signs of modern slavery. Here are our tips to help you spot the signs. An individual showing some or all of these signs may not be a victim of modern slavery, but if you are unsure or concerned it is always best to raise your concerns.
- Showing signs of physical injuries especially in unusual or unexplained locations, like inside of biceps, ankles and lower legs, consistent with restraint or assault
- Avoiding eye contact and/ or social interaction
- Seeming to adhere to scripted or rehearsed responses
- Referring to males they are with as “boyfriend”, “uncle” or “daddy,” which is often street slang for pimp
- Tattoo requests on back of the neck, inside forearm, lower back particularly male names or unusual symbols (not generic tattoos like feathers, hearts etc)
- Not being allowed to go anywhere alone, or speak for themselves
- Deferring or seeking approval with the man they are with
- Display a limited amount of clothing, of which a large proportion is over sexualised
- Display substance misuse
- Appearing to be in relationships with an older very controlling man
- Showing signs of low self image, self harm and/ or eating disorder
Raising the alarm
If you are concerned the someone is being exploited, call the Modern Slavery Helpline on 08000121700.
In an emergency always dial 999.